Sunday, August 15, 2010

I was hoping to be posting sooner, but there's been some unexpected developments.

I should start at the beginning...
Wed morning, went in for surgery. I in worse condition than was previously thought; when the doctor opened me up, it was to total carnage. My bicep was torn loose, and all the top tendons and muscles were flapping loose; there was nothing really holding my humerus in the socket other than the surrounding skin, so my whole shoulder had to be reconstructed. Got home 1530 that afternoon.
At 2200 that night, I lost my breath and was fighting for breath; my diaphram was not drawing air into my lungs, and I was struggling just to breathe. Went to emergency. My lungs were fine, they cat-scanned for blood clots in the lungs, checked my heart, could find nothing wrong; in the meantime I have an oxygen mask on, and I am struggling for every breath. Tests all night. Tests all next day (I've been awake for 30 odd hours by now, getting goofy).
Middle of the day, the pain starts shooting through my shoulder; there was an automatic pain killer pump connected to my arm (which is in a gigantic sling and spacer arrangement), and a couple of minutes later, I can breath. Turns out the pump had leaked some nerve deadener onto the nerve for my breathing, and the idiot emergency doctor had never bothered to mention the pump to the succeeding doctors, so they hadn't known about it until then. I can now breath, but my oxygen levels are not looking right, I have picked up a bit of pneumonia in one lung, so I have to stay on oxygen. Was able to get about an hour sleep after they gave me massive pain killers. Getting slowly better.
Get some news; during my testing they found out I have Type II Diabetes, so now I have more joy in my life.
By now it is Saturday, they decided to send me home with antibiotics, a machine for testing blood sugar, and some oxygen tanks.
So right now I have one working arm (my left), oxygen tubes dangling from my nose, and I am studying up on how to live life as a diabetic. The only reason I have made it is because of my amazing wife.
Typing is hard with one arm and the other complications, so I may not be posting for a couple more days, but I will be reading on the net. Thanks for all the support so far, and I hope to visit your blogs today and later.

10 comments:

Comrade Misfit said...

Oy veh!

Hang in there, Bob.

AlanDP said...

Even if you are "non-religious," I hope you don't mind if I say a few prayers for you.

BobG said...

EB: thanks for the good wishes.

Alan: a prayer is a form of wishing someone well; the form does not matter to me, it is enough knowing someone cares; thank you.

Kenny said...

Take care of yourself, and I also will be praying for you. I will have shoulder surgery on day after tomorrow. But I am sure that I am not as bad as you.

BobG said...

Kenny: thanks. Good luck with the shoulder. Mine was worse than average, and the other stuff unrelated to the actual surgery has been what was bad. Let us know how it turns out when you are able.

meleah rebeccah said...

Holy Shit. Excuse my language, but you've REALLY been through the ringer here Bob.

Im glad you can breathe again, but I am soooo sorry to hear about the Type II Diabetes. That just sucks.

Sending good thoughts and healing prayers your way.

BobG said...

Meleah: thanks for the good vibes; good thoughts from friends always helps. :)

Bob G. said...

BobG:
Man, I can't leave you alone for a week or more, can I?

:)

Very sorry to hear about the complications...you WILl be in my thoughts...guys named BOB tend to do that, you know. We're like sheapo rice...we stick together.

MY sincere hope is that you'll be on the mend soon enough.
Rest up and get better.

MauserMedic said...

Swift recovery to you, BobG

terri said...

Holy cow! I get busy for a few days and fall behind on my favorite blogs and look what I miss!

So glad to hear the doctors figured things out and you're "okay." You type pretty good for a one armed man ;-)

Hope you heal and feel much better very soon.