Thursday, July 03, 2008

Summer is starting to warm up to normal temperatures

Spent most of yesterday out at my mom's place helping her with some chores. The weather was windy, and in the high nineties. Blah! The foliage out in her area is starting to dry out; hope they don't have any brush/grass fires out there, but it seems like they have some almost every year.
I had an audience for some of the time I was out there; her neighbors' goats decided to watch me by the fence. I'm not certain of the breed, but the buck with them has four horns.







I was hoping to get some bird pictures, but the only avians I saw were a couple of ravens and a turkey vulture. Usually there are quite a few eagles (both bald and golden) and hawks, but they weren't out gliding around like usual.

I've noticed that the finch population in my yard has almost disappeared; usually they are all over the place. This year about all I have are robins and mourning doves. Even the starlings and magpies aren't as numerous as usual.

I probably won't get a chance to do much in the way of blogging tomorrow; we're going to a barbecue with my in-laws. Hope it doesn't get too hot, but they're predicting up around 99 or 100 tomorrow. Since I won't be home much tomorrow, I'd luck to wish all of you a good July 4th, and don't forget what it is all about.

UPDATE: Got looking at the pictures a little closer (I didn't look that closely at the animals while I was out there). The animal I described as a buck goat would appear to be a ram; which means he is probably a Jacob's sheep, some of which appear to be mixed in with the flock of goats.

*******************************************

Any favorites in this bunch?

"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
"Quicksand" by The Youngbloods
"I Know You're Out There Somewhere" by The Moody Blues
"A Real Fine Place to Start" by Sara Evans
"You Didn't Have to Be So Nice" by The Lovin' Spoonful
"Cruisin' With the Duece" by Quarterflash
"Magical Mystery Tour" by The Beatles
"El Paso" by Marty Robbins
"Promises in the Dark" by Pat Benatar
"To Beat the Devil" by Kris Kristofferson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The goats are kind of cute! They look extremely interested in what you are doing.

My parents always have so many finches. They keep the feeders on the deck full and the birds are quite comfortable hanging out by the patio door. My feeders, on the other hand, are too often neglected and when they are filled, the squirrels get to them first. Just haven't found the time to get a better set up out there.

One of my faves from your list: Sara Evans. Anything by Sara Evans!

GUYK said...

I have seen them critters before..just figured they were a horny goat

Anonymous said...

Oh I love "Magical Mystery Tour" by The Beatles.

Great pictures!!!!!

none said...

There is a drive through wildlife park with some critters like that.

They are pretty stubborn and won't get out from in front of the truck.

H2o said...

Boy those are some horny goats.

EDGE said...

Was checkin' out your blog and noticed you are from Utah. Had no idea it got that dadgum hot out there! 91,91,95 degees?

Dag! Stay cool out there.