Monday, February 22, 2010

Beware the wieners of death...

Looks like some pediatricians are getting their panties in a bunch about hot dogs; they think that the dogs need labels warning people not to let their children choke on them.  Just what we need, more nanny state rules and impositions.  Look people, if you have a kid small enough to choke himself on a hot dog, maybe you shouldn't give him one.  Kids can also choke on lollipops, popcorn, candy, and just about anything else that will fit in the human mouth.  That's why we have people around called parents; they are supposed to monitor small children.
**************************************************

Supposedly there is a meeting this week on the healthcare boondoggle.  What it appears to be is a situation where the POTUS and his lackeys the Congress and the Senate will meet with some Republican representatives and try to get them to go along with the bipartisan charade.  I've noticed that with politicians (of both parties)  that compromise has a different meaning than it does for other people.  In politics, compromise means that one side gets its own way, and throws a few crumbs to the other side.  I'll be surprised if anything good comes out of this; either it will crash and burn, or we'll get some sort of atrocious Frankenstein package cobbled together that will be bad for everyone.  Personally, I'd rather see them toss the pork-filled mess and then start over again, but with both side contributing.  Remember, they don't need the Republican vote to pass this bill, (the Democrats can pass it on their own majority if they want to do so) they just don't want to own it if it turns out bad. 

"I can remember way back when a liberal was one who was generous with his own money."
-Will Rogers

"One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork."
- Edward Abbey


**************************************************

 With everything going on the the world, who really gives a rat's ass whether Tiger Wood's apology sounded genuine or not?

**************************************************


 I was hoping to blog a little more often, but I've been under the weather again.  Got some sort of sinus-throat problem, but the main problem is my back; some morning lately I have to do some stretching exercises just to be able to put on my shoes, and have been getting some spasms that damn near drop me to the ground.  Hopefully they'll run their course in a few days.  The weather doesn't really help; winter is a painful experience for those of us with joint problems.
 
**************************************************

More moldy-oldies in the music department; any favorites or comments on the top ten in today's playlist?

         "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger
         "The Lonely One" by Duane Eddy
         "Dog and Butterfly" by Heart
         "Nights in White Satin" by The Moody Blues
         "The Times They Are A-Changin'" by Bob Dylan
         "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot
         "Johnny Reb" by Johnny Horton
         "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins
         "Sometimes in Winter" by Blood, Sweat & Tears
         "Flesh and Blood" by Johnny Cash

The last two in the list below:

This is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful pop songs of the late sixties; though it is somewhat melancholy.



An excellent song from The Man in Black.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw something about this on Fox and Friends, and just about choked on my morning coffee.

This has become,and this one subject is just proof of - the nanny state we've as a country become.

meleah rebeccah said...

OMG! I saw the Hot Dog thing on the news too and I feel the same way as you do. If kids are choking on 'Hot Dogs' then shouldn't the parents be cutting them up better? I do NOT think Hot Dogs should be changed all together!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Duane Eddy's "The Lonely One". Perfect for a rainy day.
Thanks.

BobG said...

Conservative Scalawag: you have to wonder what sort of ridiculous ideas they'll come up with next.

Meleah: any kid that needs a hot dog cut up for them is probably too young to eat one anyway.

Anonymous: it's always good to hear one of the old classics, isn't it?

terri said...

Wieners of Death. I would buy hot dogs with a name like that. That's just funny!

I like Gordon Lightfoot.

James Higham said...

That's why we have people around called parents; they are supposed to monitor small children.

Precisely ... and great music too.

fidelity_axiom said...

I've got two beautiful modern pop songs for you:

Radiohead's "Karma Police"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU


&

Radiohead's "Exit Music (for a film)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMqXj-eVCjI

Anonymous said...

На этом хорошем блоге вы сможете узнать, что такое плагин Sape, настройка Wordpess%сайт сателлит. Кроме этого вы найдете для себя еще кое-какие неизвестные секреты успеха. Окунитесь в совершенный мир, где ваши электронные деньги становятся реальностью! You are welcome! Be happy!

AlanDP said...

Hard to believe that song came from that album. That iteration of BS&T spawned some of the most horrendous and unspeakably annoying radio hits ever in the history of rock. Their version of Lauro Nyro's "And When I Die" is an absolute butchery. (I realize my opinions on this matter are widely held, however.)

I like this song, though. I think their first album with Al Kooper is one of the best albums ever.

AlanDP said...

Oops...I meant NOT widely held.

Thud said...

Bob...whilst working away on my latest house I have started experiencing my first twinges of joint problems...I am not happy!