Thursday, May 31, 2007

I've been memed (is that a word?)

It looks like SpeakerTweaker has gotten me with a meme.
1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings ;
2. Pick the year you turned 18;
3. Get nostalgic over the songs of the year;
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you;
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends.


I'm not good for passing memes to people, but I'll try to do justice to the other parts of it. I turned 18 in 1970.

1. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - B. J. Thomas

This one I remember because it was the main song in the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid . The history wasn't very accurate, but the movie is a classic, and a hoot to watch.

2. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
Had no affect on my life, but I have always liked their stuff, and this was probably one of their best.

3. Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night
This was a very humerous song for someone in college who grew up during the Sixties. If you have to ask why, you either know nothing about the Sixties, or have never listened to the song. ;)

4. War - Edwin Starr
One of the signature songs of the time; most of us were not big fans of unnecessary war in the first place, and with Vietnam it was sort of personal.

5. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
This one was very appealing to the Eastern philosophy crowd; my own reaction was more of WTF? Though I am familiar with a huge number of religions and philosophies, I subscribe to none of them in their conventional form, though I do respect anyone's belief as long as they don't try to push it in my face.

I was never a big fan of the "Top Ten" type of music; at that time period I was listening to other stuff. The Moody Blues was (and still is)one of my all-time favorites; I also listened quite a bit to The Doors, Cream, John Mayall, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, and a lot of classical, jazz, and blues, with a bit of country at times. I tend to be a bit unconventional in my musical tastes.

7 comments:

Jobove - Reus said...

please visit, thank

Scott Freeman said...

I'll be damned if I get nostalgic about any of the songs this year!

BobG said...

I know the feeling CL, I find most of the new stuff sort of boring.

AlanDP said...

That would be 1978 for me, and all the #1 hits that year just flat-out sucked.

Horrendous, they were, the disco years.

BobG said...

Disco was amazingly awful; just one step above rap, in my opinion. It was boring after about the first four bars of the song, and they all sounded alike and they all had the same rhythm and beat.

Arcadia Iris said...

The odd thing is that I wasn't even born until '77, yet I have memories of each of those songs. I guess that's what happens when you refuse to listen to the what all the other kids are listening to.

Brandon said...

"Mama Told Me" is a great song. I remember that my dad had a Three Dog Night 8-track in his pickup when I was growing up. 8-tracks were already dead, but I didn't know that, and he didn't care!

I've got Carbine pics up, BTW. :-)