Monday, December 22, 2008

Do we REALLY need a white Christmas?

More snow; at least it's warm. It was 36º this morning, that's double what it has been lately. This is a shot looking to the west again; notice the mountains are invisible.



What I don't want is a lot of snow. I managed to get tendinitis in my right shoulder and can't use my arm very well; the tendinitis is in my biceps, deltoids, and a bit in the pectorals. Lifting my humerus parallel to the ground is extremely painful, and I seem to have no strength in my arm, so shoveling snow is a problem if this stuff keeps coming down.
My wife is the one who has serious problems though. On Friday she had a cracked tooth removed which is a routine operation, but it decided to become infected. Saturday night saw us at the dentist's office just before midnight. The antibiotics are doing their job, but the whole left side of her face is greatly swollen, and her eye is almost swollen shut and discolored. It makes her look like someone punched her in the face several times and blacked her eye. The pain was really bad, so now she is taking percodan, which is managing the pain. Hopefully she will be doing ok by Christmas.

*******************************************

This sounds a bit suspicious to me.

SANDY — Four men wearing ski masks broke into a home here Sunday night, tied up a woman and allegedly took tens of thousands of dollars in cash as well as a cache of weapons, according to police.

"They awakened the adult female and asked for money and guns," he said.

They took the woman to the living room where they forced her to show them where the safe was, then tied her up with a rope, Chapman said.

The robbers left the house with an estimated 49 handguns and an unknown number of rifles, he said. A man who also lives in the home, but was working at a Christmas Tree lot near 9000 South and State Street at the time, later told detectives there was an estimated $50,000 to $80,000 missing from his safe.


That much money and handguns in a safe, and the robbers knew about it. I have to wonder in what sort of business the owner was involved. Possibly he was a gun collector and just happened to have that much cash on hand for emergencies (neither one of these is illegal or evidence of a crime), but I tend to doubt it. And how did the robbers know all about them? Seems sort of fishy to me.


*******************************************

I know someone has to be familiar with at least a couple of these.

"La Bamba" by Los Lobos
"Loving You's a Dirty Job But Somebody's Gotta Do It" by Bonnie Tyler
"Embryonic Journey" by Jefferson Airplane
"One Of The Living" by Tina Turner
"Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears
"Janis" by Country Joe & the Fish
"Suds in the Bucket" by Sara Evans
"Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix
"Lost in a Lost World" by The Moody Blues
"John the Revelator" from Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack

Here's one from the list:

"Embryonic Journey" is an instrumental, and one of my favorites from the Sixties.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be happy with SOME snow over here. It was supposed to snow, and other people were hit hard, but I was stuck with rain. It just doesn't seem like the holidays without snow!

terri said...

I don't need a white Christmas. I'm getting one though. We're getting more snow tonight and again tomorrow. I hate driving in this stuff. Probably have to at least double my drive time tomorrow.

I'd be suspicious of that robbery. Like you said, it could be completely legit, but it doesn't seem like it.

I recognize a few songs... love Sara Evans' Suds in the Bucket.

Kenny said...

Bob

I hope Mrs. Bob is feeling better and I wish both of you a very Merry Christtmas.

PS it is snowing big time herre in Layton

Bob G. said...

Bob:
Not much snow in Indiana...just ICE..and lots of it.
We're finally down from 70K people to under 45K WITHOUT power.
We're waiting for the power guys to get the line out of OUR driveway, so we can leave abnd get stuff we need.

Had to bring in utility teams from out of state to handle the load.

As to that house...sounds WAY too weird.
(Got dope?)

Anyway, thanks for the blog, and do have a Merry Christmas (in keeping with the situation).

(the other) Bob G.

momster said...

Thank you for the Christmas greeting and I hope you are all feeling better for Christmas.

H2o said...

Merry Christmas Bob! Enjoy your white Christmas and I'll enjoy my 70 degrees... Yeah me!

H2o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Higham said...

In answer, Bob, yes we do need a White Christmas. I miss it so much and would give a lot to experience it again. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thud said...

bob...I'm with James on the snow...anyway...I hope you and the missus have a great Christmas.

BobG said...

Meleah: I'm surprised you don't have any where you're at.

Terri: The snow isn't as bad on the streets, but we get a lot of black ice under it which makes it like greased glass.

Kenny: She's doing better now.

Bob G: Hope they get all of the power done soon, winter is no time to have the power down.

Momster: Have a good holiday, we're getting better.

Becky: Wish it was even 40º around here; 70º would be great.

James: Wish you could be having a white one now, I would think you would have gotten tired of those over in Russia where you were at.

Thud: Is Britain not getting any snow this year? I'm not too familiar with the climate does over there in winter.

NotClauswitz said...

Hope your tooth and tendinitis issues resolve! My wife had a bone graft on her jaw to enable an implant to take lucklily with no complications, and my tendinitis is in my left elbow! I tried my pistol hold the other day and discovered my prescription won't allow me to focus on the front sight - it's all blurry - that's my excuse for last year!