Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Where does the time go?

It would appear that my blog is three years old today. I would like to thank you people for taking to time to read (and even answer!) my questionable scribblings; I have met (in virtual space) a lot of good people who have visited here, and hope to see you in the future, also. If at times I seem a bit goofy, just think of the lines to the old Waylon Jennings song:

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"

A view of my desktop (excuse the clutter and dust)



A few flowers from my yard to celebrate.

The humble but beautiful periwinkle



The daffodil; a joyous harbinger of spring



Miniature daffodils; these are only an inch across



****************************************************

I've been reading news from what's been happening with our friends across the pond in the UK.

The U.K. government is considering the mass surveillance and retention of all user communications on social-networking sites, including Facebook, MySpace, and Bebo.

and
The travel plans and personal details of every holidaymaker, business traveller and day-tripper who leaves Britain are to be tracked by the Government, the Daily Telegraph can disclose.
Like I told my brother the other day in an e-mail, I'm beginning to think that Orwell was an optimist.

“There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
“Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone?
“But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted-and you create a nation of law-breakers-and then you cash in on the guilt.”
-Ayn Rand

****************************************************

Lots of golden oldies mixed into this bunch.

"I Want You to Rock Me" by Vixen
"Crossroads" by Robert Johnson
"Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard
"Perfect" by Sara Evans
"Season of the Witch" by Blues Brothers Band
"Rebel Rouser" by Duane Eddy
"Ride the Wild Surf" by Jan & Dean
"I've Always Been Crazy" by Waylon Jennings
"Homeward Bound" by Simon & Garfunkel
"Twist and Shout" by The Beatles

This song from 1967 always tickled my funnybone for some reason.


14 comments:

AlanDP said...

Congrats on the blogiversary.

Ambulance Driver said...

Happy Blogiversary!

H2o said...

Happy Blogiversary and many more years ahead...

MauserMedic said...

Good run so far, hope you have many more to come!

none said...

Congrats!

Silly Brits...heck we aren't far behind.

BobG said...

AlanDP: thanks, it's always good to see you here

Ambulance Driver: thank you

Becky: with any luck I'll be blogging for a while

MauserMedic: thanks for dropping by; are you done with your overseas service now, or just home for a while?

Hammer: good to hear from you, Hammer. I was starting to worry that something bad had happened to you.

Michael said...

Happy blog day!

terri said...

Happy Blogiversary! Your flowers are beautiful.

Mike W. said...

Remind me to never visit Britain again....

Editor said...

congrats you salty dog!

Anonymous said...

Poor Brits, in my country the government just monitors your communications illegally, authorized by our leader who swears to protect the exact document he's ignoring, and reauthorized every 45 days, until our legislator decides that we ought to just bring the program out of the closet and legalize it. Then, even though the now-legal illegal program is extremely unpopular, none of the candidates running for election dared to speak out against it. Poor buggers, but maybe if 7/7 people were on Facebook, it all could have been avoided.

I like the song Handlebars by Flobots, I think it summarizes my generation, and the dichotomy of our pursuits, really well.

James Higham said...

Hey, happy blog birthday!

Bob G. said...

Congrats on the blogiversary...may you enjoy MANY more years ahead!
Can't go wrong w/ Sara Evans...and the S&G song...damn fine choice!

(the other)
Bob G.

BobG said...

Thanks for the good wishes.