Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day weekend

Not a real lot going on this weekend, a lot of it is just catching up. We did get away for a bit Sunday and went hiking up at Brighton, where there are several ski resorts. It tried to sprinkle lightly at times, but not enough to get wet. It was in the nineties in the valley, so the 65F temperatures up in the mountains felt good. We did get a good look at a bull moose that was up there. It was used to people, so we were able to get up within 20 feet of him without him getting excited at all.



Click pictures for larger view

We have quite a few moose in the local mountains; during the winter sometimes they wander down into Salt Lake City. The bulls are usually not much trouble, but cows with calves can get extremely belligerent. It seems any more that I see more moose than deer in the woods here in northern Utah. The moose was on the shores of the small lake in the photo. We also saw woodpeckers and ducks, so it was a pleasant afternoon. There are a few other pictures from the area in my Flickr account, if you're interested.

12 comments:

none said...

That scenery is great. I've never seen a moose up close.

BobG said...

They are about the size of a Clydesdale horse. I've been closer than I like at times.

LBJ said...

Bob if you go to my site and scroll down, I added in a photo of "beware of moose" from Newfoundland, that you'll get a kick out of.

I did some flying in Alaska - they're magnificant animals but you don't want to tangle with one in a plane or a car.

JDP said...

What a beautiful place and a trophy bull moose to boot. It does not get much better than that.

JDP

H2o said...

The view...Wow...

Andy said...

That looks like it was a fantastic weekend in the outdoors!

MauserMedic said...

Bob, beautiful scenery. So much so that I'm inspired to take a hike in my area tomorrow to view the yellowing of the soybeans, one of the midwest's most gorgeous natural occurences. If I'm fortunate, I may get an up-close encounter with one of our morbidly obese raccoons. :)

James Higham said...

Skiing and snow in summer?

BobG said...

Skiing in winter, hiking and fishing in summer. I don't ski, personally, but my wife does. I prefer hiking.

breda said...

Wow! Great photos! Are moose really as tall as I've heard they are?

J.R.Shirley said...

Incredible photos.

BobG said...

breda-moose are about 6 foot or more at the shoulder; I have been charged by them at close range and could not see over them.