Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I really need to get organized

Thank you for all the greetings on my blogiversary. I've been fairly busy the past few days; had to help with some of the loose ends from my uncle's passing that I wrote about some time ago. It was a sunny day, but chilly. The wind never stops blowing at Camp Williams, where the veterans cemetery is located. His resting place is not too far from his older brother's (my dad).



There is something about them folding up a soldier's flag that always gets to me. This is my third veteran ceremony in the past two years (my dad and two uncles), and it always affects me the same way; a mixture of pride and sadness. Hopefully it will be a long time before I have to experience another.

******************************************************

Spring keeps trying to happen, Easter was a fairly nice day, with sunshine and no wind.



This picture is my wife helping our great-niece find eggs at my mother-in-law's place. Little kids are such a hoot.

******************************************************

I finally have flowers other than crocus, some hyacinths, violets, and daffodils have started to open.

Click to enlarge








The top picture is of a miniature daffodil, it is only an inch across.

The second is a patch of violets.

The last picture is a full size daffodil, it is about three inches across.

We'll still be getting snow off and on until May, but these flowers like cooler weather.

******************************************************

Today's playlist is a good mix; the top ten are:

"In the Mood" by Glenn Miller
"Back Where You Belong" by .38 Special
"Always on My Mind" by Willie Nelson
"Happy Jack" by The Who
"The Good the Bad and the Ugly" by Soundtrack
"Who Can It Be Now?" by Men at Work
"Get Happy" by Benny Goodman
"A Real Fine Place to Start" by Sara Evans
"Born Under a Bad Sign" by Cream
"Dreamboat Annie" by Heart

Any favorites in that bunch?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Spring is definitely trying to take over there! We still have snowcover, with more predicted for Thursday (Of course. My day off.)

Favorites on your playlist: .38 Special and Sara Evans!

Erica said...

A few comments, if I may:

I've never seen a flag-folding at a funeral in person, but I've seen lots on the TV and in movies, and they always get to me, since they generally represent the combined circumstances of our having lost another brave, patriotic, excellent American, and in many cases nowadays, they are also very young...so that makes it hard, too.

I hope you don't have to experience another one, and I hope I never have to experience my first.

Your great niece is sooooo squooshy cheek pinchingly cute...I love her! Just adorable.

Any favorites? Are you kidding? Willie Nelson, The Who, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller...that's all the stuff I'd want with me if I were stranded on a desert island.

Although, I'd prefer "Quadrophenia" and "Red Headed Stranger" - anything by Glenn and Benny would do just fine (as long as "String of Pearls," "Tuxedo Junction" and "And the Angels Sing" were on it).

JDP said...

Always On My Mind is my all time favorite Willie Nelson song.

JDP

James Higham said...

Nice pen portrait, Bob. Glad you're still kicking there.

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel about the flag folding .... when my grandpa died and they did that at his funeral, I lost it.

Anonymous said...

I"m sorry for your losses, man.

GeologyJoe said...

Nice. \
I still have 24 inches of snow in the yard.

Mrs. Who said...

Beautiful post about both death and young/new life.