Sunday, March 09, 2008

A preview of spring

The seasons are sort of odd around here; we have little or no spring, it usually just gets warm one day, snows some more, and then turns hot. This is usually somewhere between the last of April and the first part of June. I remember it snowing on June 4 one year, and then turning 85ºF the next day. Most years we get a bit of a slight thaw in January or February, but the last couple of years it has skipped this (global warming, I am told). This year the crocus flowers didn't open until the first part of this month, instead of in February as usual. Some of the violets have started blooming also. It makes it almost feel a bit like spring. For those in cold places, maybe some of these pictures I took a couple of hours ago will appeal to you.

Click to enlarge.







***********************************************

Does everyone remember some of these oldies?

"With or Without You" by U2
"Stewball" by Memphis Slim
"California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & the Papas
"In the Mood" by Glenn Miller
"A Fistful of Dollars" Soundtrack
"Sweet Cherry Wine" by Tommy James & the Shondells
"Alone" by Heart
"I Touch Myself" by The Divinyls
"Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line" by Waylon Jennings
"Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pretty. I love the spring because it is beautiful....but my allergies make this season difficult to enjoy.

Michele said...

Oh yes indeed, these pictures definitely appeal to me! I still have some snow on the ground but there are lots of bare spots as well so I'm hoping that the flowers are getting anxious to come up soon! I love violets the best even though they are considered weeds, they have always been my favorite!
Beautiful photos... thanks for posting these!
Hope you are doing well.

the pistolero said...

I love me some Waylon. "Only Daddy.." and "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" are my two favorite songs of his. I've never heard Memphis Slim's "Stewball," but Texas singer Robert Earl Keen did a really fun rendition of that on his first live album.

none said...

Just now starting to get flowers too. Damn trees are all confused though. They just now decided to drop their leaves.

H2o said...

Hammer, You hit the nail right on the head. They're all confused.

GeologyJoe said...

I sure wish Spring would come in Maine this year. Its been a long winter.

Anonymous said...

Beatiful pictures. I'm jealous. It's been a very long, cold winter in MN.